Friday, January 11, 2013

My Freezer Overrun by Angry Birds



My freezer has officially been overthrown by Angry Birds. Today my Mother-in-law got together and made several fondant Angry Birds/Piggies, the Piggies structure and a cake.  It was a lot of work but I think there wont be much problem tomorrow putting it all together (and yes I'll have to put much of it together after I get to where his party is being hosted. This causes a bit of a problem because I'm not sure how quickly I can put it together.


All the recipes we used were from All Recipes .com We used this recipe Rolled Buttercream Fondant this fondant's taste is reasonable and is good to top the cake with, but it's terrible for sculpting with. The greasiness alone is reason enough to steer clear of this for sculpting. Because this recipe uses shortening it gets softer faster than other recipes. In my case it did not help that my place was too warm (no control over the thermostat, and even having a window open didn't help). I would only use this recipe again as a foundation. I prefer to use this recipe: Rolling Fondant Recipe but I didn't find my gelatin until after I finished making the other.






For the eyes and white details we used Royal Icing III. We did use baking powder in place of cream of tartar. This is a good recipe for making gingerbread houses, gingerbread men, and details. I found it terrible to use as the sole decorator for sugar cookies! We also used this to put all of our cookie structures together that I will be placing on the cake tomorrow.






On the cake itself we used Simple and Delicious Buttercream Frosting. This worked well for icing the base of our cake! I'd love to show you what all this looks like, but I'm going to save it for my next post, so you can see the final product as a whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment