Monday, January 14, 2013

Grumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard

I've been meaning to start writing about my (and my son's) favourite children's books, but I just haven't gotten around to it, until now. 

You may have guessed that my son's favourite game is Angry Birds (for the record I really hate when he steals my phone to play this). I believe it is the popularity of this game that drew my son to this book, because the main character is a bird that looks similar to an Angry Bird, but by no means is a rip-off of such. 

The book is about Bird who wakes up grumpy. He's too angry to fly, so he walks. On his journey he meets up with a bunch of friends who walk with him. Bird's friends are sweet and understanding throughout Bird's grumpy day. I have fun reading this story to my son every time because Bird is very expressive and has a great (though grumpy) personality. I also love any children's book that makes me laugh and this one does time and time again. 


Illustrations by Jeremy Tankard.

One thing not to miss about this book is the wonderful illustrations. The illustrations are brightly coloured and are whimsical. The backgrounds add to the whimsy of the drawings and their colours seem to portray different moods of Bird and his friends. Each page has a single colour that stands out on each page, but none of these overwhelm or take focus from the characters in the story. Every time I read the books I find something new to enjoy about these books.

If you are in the mood for a wonderful children's story please check this one out, and if you want to know more about the author you can visit his website here: http://www.jeremytankard.com/  You can also buy his book here. This is the first of Jeremy's books I've picked up and this certainly wont be the last.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I met Jeremy Tankard at Vancouver's Word on the Street last year! He was wonderful and signed David's book with an awesome Bird drawing! He's very easy to talk to and I'm glad that he's writing books, because kids need great books like this to grow up with.

2 comments:

  1. Woah! Just been looking at some of your art work and your pictures are amazing! Definitely a blog worth following. :)

    ReplyDelete