Friday, October 25, 2013

PiBoIdMo Blog Hop!

PiBoIdMo - Picture Book Idea Month 

This is my first year doing Picture Book Idea Month. The brain child of Tara Lazar. She was tired of the novelists having all the fun in NaNoWriMo If you want to join PiBoIdMo the sign up is here. Here you will create 30 picture book ideas in 30 days (no, no pressure at all! ha ha ha.) There are daily blog posts and awesome prizes to be won so why not?

I'm joining this because I'm a busy mom, and I'm having trouble with the 12x12 because I'm not focusing to come up with new ideas. I'm hoping this will help me focus. Next year I'm hoping to be brimming with stories to write! 


About the blog hop.
At the end of this post I'll take some writers. Each writer who is tagged just has to answer a few questions and then tags 3 other children's writers participating in PiBoIdMo.

I was tagged by Yvonne Mes a very talented illustrator and writer. She's living in Australia and has three cute little boys. I honestly can't remember if I met her first in the 12 x 12 or the Chapter Book Challenge group (probably the latter). She has wonderful illustrations on her site so check them out! Her blog is a great read and I'm sure I'll be reviewing it in the near future.

1.      What am I currently working on?


So much I don't even know where to start! I have a lot of craft shows coming up soon. I am using my illustrations in everything I sell. I'm going to be developing some ideas in PiBoIdMo, so that will give me a lot of things to write soon. I have my blog that I need to start dedicating more time to... and my fractured fairy tales have to suffer right now because I just don't have time to write them. I'm thinking about starting a web comic about "The Pattern Pals" soon and I have a picture book that I want to enter in this SCBWI contest where I'll be submitting the dummy and some finished artwork.

2.      How does it differ from other works in the genre?


I'll stick to "The Pattern Pals" for this question. The way I've developed this whole thing is kind of backwards. I had a blog in 2010 where I designed all these characters. Now I've gone back and made a coloring book out of them. I have original illustrations that I'll be selling of these and have done tons of greeting cards as well. This is all before having a book to base it on. I'm hoping to start the web comic in January and see where that goes. My husband will be helping me write it, and it will likely be for a younger audience than most web comics.

3.      Why do I write what I do?


No one in their right mind really knows! I just write whatever comes to my head. Same with drawing. Maybe it's the lack of sleep. Maybe it's the lack of time. Maybe, maybe it's just that I've got a screw loose ever since I had my son (blaming him even though the last straw was years ago). 

4.      What is the hardest part about writing?

When I actually have the time to work on something I usually choose illustration (and I really don't usually have much time). Sometimes I actually prefer to write, but I feel like my portfolio needs to be fixed up in certain places so I end up just doing art instead. Also it's much easier to paint than write (for me) when my toddler is screaming bloody murder/joyful murder.

I guess I was supposed to only do three people but I did four!

Stacy Jensen


Short bio:
I write {picture books and memoir}. I design {websites}. I eat {chocolate}. website: www.stacysjensen.com.

Ceilia Clark

Short bio: 

I am therefore I write. Hmmm okay I am lots of things besides being a writer. I am an illustrious illustrator who brags brilliantly. Okay then story teller, public speaker, parent, friend and confidante, props makers, teacher and erstwhile chef. I have works in progress, ideas galore and lots of flash fiction in places to read it. Me in a nutshell, if I could fit in one.
http://ceciliaaclark.blogspot.com.au/

Robyn Campbell

Short Bio: 

I'm a published short story writer, who also writes picture books and MG novels.
http://robyn-campbell.blogspot.ca/

Elaine Hillson

Photographer and writer focus on historical fiction and dark fantasyAlso an artist and student of feline behaviour.
http://tollykit.blogspot.ca/

1 comment:

  1. Dani, I'm sorry I've been so tardy in doing this. I FINALLY posted my answers. Thanks for including me. I got so sidetracked with the Halloweensie stories and Halloween. Plugging along with my ideas.

    ReplyDelete