Stop, if you haven't read part one you can read it here: King Midas - Part 1
King Midas - Part 3
Inside the castle Eric explained the
situation. “There was chaos after you left. The beds that we put in
the city square were taken apart by the villagers and turned them
into coins. Others chipped away the gold from the houses you
decorated. Now everyone is the city is rich.”
“Well that's wonderful! I've always
wanted my kingdom to flourish.”
“Not exactly my Lord. Since everyone
in the city is rich, no one in the city is rich. Prices are going out
of control. A few eggs cost more than a year's salary for most.
People are beginning to panic. I'm not sure how long before they
revolt!”
The king wiped his brow and threw his
gloves on the ground. “I left you in charge, you were supposed to
make sure situations like this didn't happen while I was gone!”
“Well I...”
“Whose stupid idea was it to put the
gold beds in the centre of the city?” King Midas threw his hands up
in the air.
Eric whispered, “It was your stupid
idea, my Lord.”
“What was that?”
Eric spoke louder. “It was your
stupid idea, my Lord.”
“My stupid idea? My stupid idea?”
“You told me to 'Give them to the
orphans, set them in the city square, melt them down and give them to
the poor.' That's exactly what I did.”
“You Fool!” King Midas Pushed Eric
and began to yell. “I didn't mean to literally take the beds to the
city centre! Why would you think that I would actually want you to do
that? You need to learn to think for yourself. I can't believe I left
you in charge.” King Midas paused to catch his breath. “Well,
have you nothing to say for yourself?”
Eric did in fact have nothing to say
for himself. The King looked towards Eric and he was, in fact,
nothing more than a golden statue lying on the floor. Feeling quite
embarrassed and remorseful Midas quickly slipped on his gloves.
“Reginald, Reginald get in here!”
Reginald slipped quietly into the room.
“There has been an accident and Eric is now quite unable to do his
tasks. Congratulations, you have been promoted. Please see to it that
Eric's family gets reasonably compensated and that his life is
honoured and...” Midas moved his hand in circles. “All the other
things we do for those who have passed.”
“Yes, Your Majesty. What shall I do
with the body.”
“Don't leave it in the city centre
whatever you do!”
Reginald frowned. “My Lord?”
“Just do something sensible, and
don't let any greedy citizens turn him into currency.”
“Yes, Your Majesty.”
The evils of socialism...
ReplyDelete