Thursday, October 10, 2013

And the Liebster Award Goes To...

This post was meant to be done a long time ago... like last week. My computer died before I could post this but I want to make sure I get this going. 

I am going to have to give a shout out and a heartfelt Thank You to Becky Shillington for nominating me for the Leibster Blog Award. The Leibster award is giving to wonderful blogs with under 200 followers. The word "Liebster" Means sweetheart in German, so you either have a bit of sweet love for my blog or you want to marry it (I'm good either way). Even if you pine for my blog for the rest of your life, you may bring yourself to admit that it's a nice award. Please visit Becky's blog here: http://beckyshillington.blogspot.ca
In accepting this award I am contractually obligated to answer 10 questions of Becky's choosing and then command 5-10 other people to answer my similarly worded questions.  The goal here is to thoroughly embarrass the people who receive this award. Oh, no, wait... that's my goal. In any case make up a batch of these cookies: http://beckyshillington.blogspot.ca/2013/09/a-super-sweet-blog-award-and-my-recipe.html read my answers, and then cower in the corner if I call on you by name!

THE QUESTIONS PLEASE
1. When did you first know you'd like to be a writer (or illustrator)?
I think it started in High School. In my Freshman year we had to create original coloring books and read them in front of the class. I'll have to tell you that mine ruled all of the other coloring books in the class. As a Sophomore I had an excellent writing teacher named Glen Shellhammer. This was the first time I really was encouraged to write. One of the few teachers I've had over the years that really believed in me. 
I decided to take an Art Major in College, because it would reduce the number of math classes I'd have to take. Little did I know that Artists didn't need to know anything about math, because they'd never have enough money to worry about these things. Just after I graduated I spent my life savings ($1500) on a graduate course in Illustration taught by Dominic Catalano. This was worth more than the $30,000 some I had spent on about 2.5 years of University. Loved the class and decided to become an Illustrator though I may never be able to afford rent.

2. If you could meet any author, living or deceased, who would it be?
First off, I'd rather meet a living author. The dead ones are no fun to speak to. There are so many I'd like to meet, but I don't know if I'd like those people as well as their work. I think the best answer is that I'd like to meet living authors that are intelligent, who I'd get along with, and who'd actually get me. I'd be more than thrilled to meet any author who was in the SCBWI, 12 x 12, those that take part in the Chapter Book Challenge, those that I talk to on Twitter or any other group where I'm a member. I'd rather be a friend to people than a fan.

3. Coffee or tea?
Mostly Coffee. I appreciate tea, but I appreciate it more with sugar. Sugar is not my friend right now so I stick mostly with Coffee. When I can afford bucket loads of loose leaf tea, or decide I want sugary drinks in my diet I'll put tea on even footing with coffee.
4. What item is #1 on your "Bucket List?"
Live Forever

5.  What topic do you think is most overdone in the kidlit market today?
Hrm depends on the kidlit. Overly sappy/cute stories are bothersome, but not necessarily the most overdone.
For YA it's Vampire Stories and Post Apocalyptic Stories. These can be done, and done well, but mostly it's a flood of "Meh" stories. If a story is really well done it doesn't matter if it's overdone, but really I'd wait to sell any Vampire and Post Apocalyptic stories for a while.

6. What is the best book you've read in the last six months?
The Hunger Games Series (Post Apocalyptic story done so well). Things similar to this have been done, but no where near as well (and anyone who uses this as an argument should know it's not always about who does it first). 

7. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
Night Owl. Always have been. If I try to get up early to do something my son will just wake up, so I'll just enjoy the night for now.

8. What is your favorite opening line from a book?
I rarely remember the opening lines of books, though they are very important. When I do remember them they are usually morbid or somewhat unmemorable. 

9. Do you write better in silence or with background noise? (If you chose background noise, then what kind?) Depends on what kind of mood I am. Mostly quiet music if I do listen to anything. I'll start writing what I'm hearing (especially on the tv) and that makes it hard for any of my own thoughts to be written down.
10. What book has had the most profound effect upon your writing style?
I think every book has a profound effect on my writing style. I've changed my writing style a lot over the years, so I don't know if I can attribute this to any one book. I can say that if a book I like is fresh in my mind (being I've read it within a week before writing) I will often be able to/or try to write in a similar voice as that book. 

It's your turn! I'll be bugging you on your blogs shortly, but if your name is on the list you have received the Leibster Blog Award from yours truly! If you choose to accept it you will have to answer the 10 questions I came up with which will be listed after your name. No pressure to join in, but this should be fun!

Great Blogs
Meg Miller: http://megmillerwrites.blogspot.ca/

Sue Frye: http://inkler.blogspot.ca/

Nancy Vo: http://nvoitsadraw.blogspot.ca/

Helena Juhasz  http://helenajuhaszillustration.blogspot.ca/

Please answer these questions however you see fit. Since I'm lazy I'm copying and pasting the instructions: "If you choose to accept here are the directions: Link back to the blogger that tagged you. Nominate 5-10 others and answer the questions of the one who tagged you (mine are below). Then ask 10 questions for the bloggers you nominate as well as letting your nominees know of their award. Oh, yeah—and have fun! ☺"

1. What is your favorite thing about writing or illustrating for children?

2. Who or what inspired you to become a writer or illustrator?

3. What is one thing that most people don't know about you?

4. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

5. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?

6. What do you do when you aren't writing/illustrating?

7. Color or Black & White?

8. How long?

9. How annoying is it that I tagged you on my blog for this?

10. Do you have any big events that you are going to or hosting soon?

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful answers, Dani! I agree about the Hunger Games series--I normally avoid post-apocalyptic books, but I really enjoyed this series. Thanks so much for joining in! = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't mind post-apocalyptic stories if they were turned into musicals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for tagging me, Dani! I'm working on the ten questions at the moment:)

    ReplyDelete