Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Beginning of a Story

I have not been able to keep up with every one of Shannon's writing prompts for her 100 Days of Summer writing challenge, but I've done a few. The following is one I did on setting. You can find out more about 100  Days of Summer here: http://www.shannonabercrombie.com/100-days-of-summer/

The stairway was dark as I slowly walked downstairs. I was trying to be as quiet as possible because I didn't want to wake mom and dad. I especially didn't want to wake up any of my siblings because they would just ruin e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

It seemed like it took forever for me to walk through the dinning room. If it were any later I would have turned on the light so I could see. BIG MISTAKE! I tripped over something on the floor and landed with a thud. I held my breath and listened for what seemed like forever. When I was sure everyone was sleeping I crept up to the living room door and turned the handle.

The soft glow of twinkling lights greeted me as I entered. I quickly closed the door behind me. I stopped to take everything in. The smell of pine filled my lungs and I was in heaven. The tree was perfect no thanks to my brother and sister. They didn't even think when they put bulbs on the tree, they just put everything up willy-nilly! Mom says I have to leave the ornaments where they put them. Santa would take one look at our mess of a tree and hop back into his sleigh. Christmas would be ruined! I fixed it though, every day this week I worked on moving everything around so it was perfect. Mom didn't suspect a thing.

All of the stockings are bulging with candy! I wish I could get into my stocking right away, but mom says I'm not to do anything before everyone wakes up. Mom never said anything about taking candy from my brother's stocking. I wouldn't want to touch my stocking anyway right now. I designed it myself in school. I was the only person in class to do all nine reindeer and Santa on my stocking. I wanted to do the elves too, but my teacher said I had to leave some felt for everyone else.

All around the tree are the prettiest presents I've ever seen. Gifts don't get opened until after breakfast. It's so unfair, but no one said anything about shaking them. The thing about shaking the presents is you have to be careful not to break anything that might be inside. Umm, I think what's inside that present was already broken. Glad it wasn't mine!

For a moment I think that Santa had come back to see me, but then I realized it was just my siblings running down the stairs. They burst into the living room and said: “WOW look at all the presents!”

Then they started holding all the presents and going through the stockings. Then they started tearing paper. I decided enough was enough.

“Moooom Nicky and Jordan are opening up all the presents!”

“Are not,” they said in unison.

“Are too! And I think they broke something.”

“Nuh-uh” said Nicky. “It was Rachel.”

“Did not!” See, I told you they ruin everything.


1 comment:

  1. Cute story, Dani; I remember those Christmases well. My brothers and I would wake up so early that one year, my parents put hook-n-eyes on our doors so that they could sleep in. That plan was foiled with a piece of cardboard slid up the gap to release the hook...at 4:30 in the morning! :0)

    ReplyDelete