Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Becky Shillington

I found Becky Shillington on my quest for new blogs to follow. Previously, I asked who wanted their blog reviewed. Now I'm searching through my circles and finding new people's sights to review. I'm happy to have found Becky's website. Even at first glance you can tell that her blog is vibrant and fun (as is Becky herself). You can follow all the fun here: http://www.beckyshillington.blogspot.ca/

Every Friday Becky finds new poetry to talk about. I'm not sure how she does it, but she always finds the perfect poem to talk about in her Friday posts. The poem she chose to celebrate the last day of school was wonderful. Of course Shel Silverstein has such wonderful poetry to chose from! I read a lot and I personally find it difficult to find quotes and poetry to fit the mood of my writing. It takes a lot of work to match a subject with a quote/poetry so kudos to Becky for doing this so well!

It is absolutely adorable when Becky gets a young reader to review a book. It reminds me of Reading Rainbow. They use to have kids review books there too, but it's nowhere near as cute or honest as it is here.   She has only done a few of these, but I hope this continues because it's so much fun to read how kids enjoy different stories.

Reading about a writer's journey to being published is very interesting to me. Maybe it's because I'd love to be published myself someday. I'd like to think it's a bit more than that. In most of my favorite fantasy books it's the journey that I adore. Sharing in the struggle and hardship that someone goes through to accomplish their real life goals is as fun for me as reading a novel. Is it for you?

One great thing (though her whole blog is great) that Becky's blog should be celebrated for is the amount of resources she has for writers! She has a list of resources that are directly for writers, a general list of resources, and a list of blogs she follows. These lists add up to a wonderful portfolio of collected resources. I  liked her resources so much that I thought she deserved an award for this!

Unfortunately, my whole idea for an award became a whole lot less funny two minutes into making this award. I'm not making fun of Becky in this award but my lazy self in the inability to take the time to create a real award. I spent minutes creating this so I thought I'd share it in any case. Feel free to use and abuse this, but give some kind of credit to me. Also do check out Becky's blog, you'll be glad you did!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing it. Sounds like a valuable resource! (and the award is just fine LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, I came across this today and was surprised and thrilled that you had written such a nice review of my blog. Thank you SO much! Starting my blog was a huge leap of faith, and I am enjoying it tremendously, but it is wonderful to know that people actually like it and are reading it. Many, MANY thanks! And I love the award!
    = ) Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Becky,
      Congratulations on achieving Dani's award. You are delightful.

      Celebrate you.
      Never Give Up
      Joan Y. Edwards

      Delete
  3. Dear Dani,
    What a neat award to give Becky. She is a delightful person. Her blog is fun and informative. I enjoy the interviews she has with children.

    Celebrate you.
    Never Give Up
    Joan Y. Edwards

    ReplyDelete