Monday, July 1, 2013

Insecurity and Writing

Becky Frye (Creator of the Create A Female Superhero Challenge) mentioned something on her Facebook page that really got me thinking. Rather than paraphrasing it I'll post the quote here:
Writers tend to be insecure; even ones who have books published and have already found writing success will often succumb to insecurity and doubt about their ability to write well. This is why I often suggest that you go and read others' stories and leave a comment on their blog posts - because that one simple comment can sometimes be all the boost to a writer's ego that they need to keep going for the day. 

What is written here is the same for artist as well as writers. I know that I don't post on other people's blogs as much as I'd like, but I think that this is a very important practice. The comments you leave, no matter how short or long, encourages the blogger to keep fighting. One good comment can keep me feeling great for the day, and several comments put me on cloud 9 for the week.

I think we should all make an effort this week (and in the weeks after) to comment on other people's blogs. Set a daily goal. Whether it's one blog a day or 10, your encouragement will benefit an artist or writer greatly. I'm going to try for five blogs a day, but stick with only two on my extra busy days. If you need a place to start you can start below with the entries for the Create A Female Superhero Challenge #CAFSC :


2 comments:

  1. Yes, we are an insecure tribe. But I suppose that while the self-satisfied and secure folks are having a more pleasant time, they are less relatable.
    And a writer or artist you can't relate to is not the sort to draw us in.
    I got the message, see? This^ is my comment ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm game with the blog writing thing. I'm not necessarily a children's writer, although the book I did write is geared for young adults ages 12 up (or mature 9, 10, & 11-year-olds). I have no drawing talents at all. People have viewed my blog, but haven't left comments. A few reviews would be splendid. There's even a female superhero, but I was oblivious to the contest until July 1st. I don't mention there's a 9-year-old female superhero on the cover, hoping the reader will make this discovery as they read about the boy superhero, who is also 9. She's a significant character in the story next after the protagonist. With a mother who is recovering from substance abuse and left her often in life-threatening situations, Annie had to overcome a great deal. Anyway, hopefully you'll get more people commenting.

    ReplyDelete