Sunday, November 3, 2013

Interview With Anna Staniszewski

Okay everyone, I'm going to try something a little different today. It's an interview with Author Anna Staniszewski!

I met Anna on the blue boards. She is a fantastic writer! Her blog www.annastan.com is intelligent as it is informative. No, I don't know why I haven't reviewed her blog here yet. I guarantee I will correct this in the future. I found out that her new book is coming out November 5, 2013 (that's just a couple days from now!) and asked her to be interviewed on my blog. Something I haven't done before! You can see the book trailer here:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSjSjMZaJc&feature=youtu.be I hope you all enjoy my first interview!

About Anna:


Born in Poland and raised in the United States, Anna Staniszewski grew up loving stories in both Polish and English. She was named the 2006-2007 Writer-in-Residence at the Boston Public Library and a winner of the 2009 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Discovery Award. Currently, Anna lives outside of Boston with her husband and their black Labrador, Emma.

When she’s not writing, Anna spends her time teaching, reading, and challenging unicorns to games of hopscotch. She is the author of My Very UnFairy Tale Life and its sequels, My Epic Fairy Tale Fail and My Sort of Fairy Tale Ending, all published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky. Look for the first book in Anna’s next tween series, The Dirt Diary, in January 2014, and visit her at www.annastan.com.




What's one thing that people might not know about you?

I have far too high of a tolerance for sugar. My husband and I went to a chocolate buffet a few years ago; he was shaking by the end and I was perfectly fine and pretty much in heaven. :-)



Who or what inspired you to write the My Very Unfairy Tale Life Series?

The series started with a very short scene about a girl who finds a talking frog in her bedroom. The girl was so annoyed at the sight of the frog--she even threw him out the window!--that I knew I had to find out more about her. Three books later and I'm still never sure what Jenny will do!






Were there any major hiccups writing the series or the book "My Sort of Fairy Tale Ending"?

The big hiccups really came in the first book. It started as a project I was writing for fun, which meant that I would write a chapter, put it away, write another chapter, etc. When the project was finished, it was a huge mess. It took many revisions (and a lot of cutting and tightening) to get it to work. I had a much clearer plan going into the follow-up books which helped keep me on track.


How is "My Very Unfairy Tale Life" series different than other Fairy Tale books out there?

When I started working on the project, I wanted to tell a funny story about a disgruntled magical adventurer, and ultimately, I think that's what the books are. They're mostly about Jenny's wacky misadventures, with some fairy tale twists along the way.


How do you feel that the series is coming to a "sort of" close?

The UnFairy Tale series is full of fairy tales that don't work out the way you think they're supposed to, so I knew that Jenny would never have a perfect fairy tale ending--at least not the Disney kind--but that she'd find her own brand of happily ever after.


Do you have anything else you are working on right now?

I do! The first book in my next series, The Dirt Diary, is coming out in January, and I'm currently working on the sequel, The Prank List, which will be out in July.

2 comments:

  1. This is a great interview, Dani. What a fun idea for a series! I have Anna's books on my "To Be Read" list now!

    ReplyDelete