Friday, May 16, 2014

What's Up Today -- If it is Really Today

I don't know what I have against Wednesdays now. My reason for not posting was that I was working on my artwork so I can't feel too badly about that. I do feel bad for those people who read my blog and then are like, "What is wrong with this woman? Why can't she make a simple post?" The answer is: So many thing are wrong with this woman. Still trying to balance the toddler/work situation. The good thing is that once I'm making enough money that I can get regular daycare then I can post more often. Me working makes me feel less bad, because it's one step closer to achieving my goals.   

What I'm Reading
If only I could read with my eyes closed... then I'd be reading so much right now. That is if I could ever get any sleep. 

What I'm Writing/Drawing 

Wednesday I decided it was time to finish these three illustrations I've been working on for a while. Two of them are finished and the third is being an evil piece of paper. The problem is the technique I'm using over the painting as a finishing touch and doing said finishing touch late at night. It's basically colours painted over the illustration so it adds to the underwater look and adds depth to the picture. 

That third painting was making me angry. It didn't look right to me while I was working last night. I was worried at first that it look like I mistakenly put colours on my painting. Then I was worried that it was looking over worked. I spent about an hour trying to fix it (and I do think it can be fixed), but was too exhausted to come up with a reasonable solution. At this point all my solutions contained expletives, encouraged destruction and were really not getting me anywhere. I decided to throw all the paintings into a drawer angrily (but carefully) and will look at them again tomorrow. 

So I'm going to get art tippy on everyone here. If you make a mistake on a painting and it's not easily fixed, then trow it (angrily) into a drawer or onto a shelf and come back to it later. It's usually the best thing to do! I have ruined many paintings by working on something when I should have stopped. With watercolours you can end up pulling up too much of the paper and ruining it and sometimes waiting until the painting is dry will save you from that problem. Resist the urge to destroy your work! You may be able to do something else with it later, or it could end up not looking as bad as you thought once you've not thought about it for a few days.

I didn't get a chance to work on many doodles this week. Those that I had, I've already shown you. I'm going to see if I can find time tomorrow to do a few. I have an idea of something I want to do, but I won't announce it today. Too much other things on this page!

Every Day Possible
-  Portfolio Work

Wed 05/14
- Finishing Illustrations

Thursday 05/15
- They were insane... don't ask

Friday 05/16
- Interview postponed? I forgot to ask my lovely interviewees for photos, so I may not be able to post this week. We'll see!
- Finish illustrations, Work on picture book, other projects too!

Saturday 05/17
- Celebrating Father In Law's Birthday!
- Sitting in on an art class (carried over from last week).
- Working a bit more on my dummy!

Sunday 05/18
- More artwork. 

Write down some interview questions

Monday 05/19
- My name is Dani... I think.

Tuesday 05/20

- David's dance class starts today!

Wednesday 05/21

- What's Up Wednesday!

What Inspires Me Right Now

Fresh air and being able to leave my front door open.

What Else I've Been Up To

Toddler Minding 
Little David is sick with a cold. Send Tissues!

Ect.
Worked out at 11pm tonight (haven't done anything in a couple of days). Peter joined me, sort of. He did some of the exercises, but mostly was just being silly. He passed out on the floor while I showered. He's ridiculous! 

*What's up Wednesday is part of Jamie Morrow's summer writing intensive: "Ready. Set. WRITE!" There are other host blogs including: Erin L. FunkAlison MillerKaty Upperman, and Elodie Nowodazkij.

1 comment:

  1. I understand you, Dani. Look, you've got your plate full of worthy projects and then some. Good for you! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete