Friday, May 2, 2014

Interview With Yvonne Ventresca

Yvonne Ventresca started out in the technical side of life. She has an MBA in business and worked as computer programmer, a compensation analysis and other technical jobs. She majored in English and computer science in University, but the English part didn't come to play until later in her life.

It's so wonderful that Yvonne has now moved on to the creative side of life. She has written many articles for children. Two nonfiction books (Publishing and a biography of Avril Lavigne) got her started writing longer books. Now with her new fiction book Pandemic there's no telling how far she will soar!

I think writing was always meant to be for her. Even at a young age she created books. Many of us writers start at a place that seems a long way from writing. Those experiences just make us better writers in the end. Join me now for an interview with the wonderful Yvonne Ventresca!

----
Dani: How long was your writing journey before you first got published?

Yvonne: My first nonfiction book, Publishing (Careers for the 21st Century) came out in 2005, followed by Avril Lavigne (People in the News) in 2007, both by Lucent Books. I found it much harder to sell young adult fiction and Pandemic (just published by Sky Pony Press!) was my fourth attempt at a novel. I guess I’ll never qualify as an overnight success!


Dani: What is your favorite animal and why?

Yvonne: I love dogs, especially the smaller breeds. I have two, Rocky and Luna, who keep me company while I write. They’re a little yappy but very loving. I can leave for a short errand, like to mail packages at the post office, and when I return home they are overjoyed to see me.



Dani: How challenging is blogging when you are writing a book?

Yvonne: I just completed the April A to Z Blogging Challenge (there’s a Pinterest collection of my posts at http://www.pinterest.com/yvonneventresca/writing-inspiration-atozchallenge-writing/), and that was tough. Normally, I blog (www.yvonneventresca.com/blog.html) twice a week to keep it manageable. On Tuesdays, I provide resources for teen writers, and on Friday, I create a roundup (“Friday Five”) for writers of all ages.

Dani: Now that you've written both, which do you prefer Non-Fiction or Fiction books?

Yvonne: I enjoyed writing the factual nonfiction books, but I really love fiction because I get to make up my own version of the facts. Fiction, to me, is more creatively satisfying.

Dani: Did your writing habits change moving from Non-Fiction to Fiction?

Yvonne: The nonfiction required thorough research and I was definitely able to use those skills in writing Pandemic. While writing the novel, I read several books on both historical and emerging diseases. For example, although the blue flu in Pandemic is a fictional disease, it was modeled after the Spanish Flu of 1918 (like the fact that it primarily affects mostly healthy people, not infants and senior citizens). I also interviewed a local public health official to understand the possible ramifications of a widespread disease on a small town. So my nonfiction training served my debut novel well.

Dani: Tell us about Pandemic, your new book coming out this May!

Yvonne: In Pandemic, only a few people know what caused Lilianna Snyder's sudden change from a model student to a withdrawn pessimist who worries about all kinds of disasters. After her parents are called away on business, Lil’s town is hit by what soon becomes a widespread fatal illness. With her worst fears realized, Lil must find a way to survive not only the outbreak and its real-life consequences, but also her own personal demons.

Dani: Do you have anything you are writing right now?

Yvonne: I’m currently working on a YA psychological thriller about a girl who fears she is either being haunted or going insane. I like the idea of creating scary circumstances in our ordinary world.

For more information about Yvonne and Pandemic:


Website www.yvonneventresca.com

Facebook www.facebook.com/yvonne.ventresca.3

Twitter twitter.com/YvonneVentresca

Goodreads www.goodreads.com/author/show/317481.Yvonne_Ventresca


Where to buy the book:


Indiebound www.indiebound.org/book/9781628736090

Amazon www.amazon.com/Pandemic-Yvonne-Ventresca/dp/1628736097

Barnes and Noble www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pandemic-yvonne-ventresca/1116107728?ean=9781628736090

4 comments:

  1. Pandemic sounds fantastic! I haven't read any YA featured around an outbreak before. Plus, love the bird made from other birds- creepy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview! PANDEMIC is in my TBR pile, so I'll be starting in a week or two--I'm so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I'm looking forward to reading PANDEMIC.

    ReplyDelete