Tuesday, February 26, 2013

SCBWI Here We Go Again!

Last year I went to my very first Writing/Illustration conference. I loved the SCBWI Canada West conference so much last year that this year I'm going again. This year I know what will happen so things will be a bit different. There are a few things I need to do before I go to the conference.

This year I may or may not do a portfolio review, but I'm definitely going to take the opportunity to have a table with my artwork on it. I may instead do a manuscript consultation, because I'm not just an artist and I'd like some feedback to my writing.

1. Post Cards/Business Cards I've been needing to design new post cards for some time now (not long after getting them made my phone number changed). This will give me the kick I need to finally get them finished.

2. Prints I need to get some prints made of my portfolio. I took the advice of my last portfolio reviewer and got a small portfolio, but now I need some new prints made to fill it.

3. New Artwork I don't know how much new things I will finish, but I'd like to have some newer things to show.

4. Dummy I would love to finish my picture book dummy. I may or may not be able to finish this in time, but I do want to work on this so I can send it into a publisher later this year.

5. Fun Surprises I have an idea of something I'd love to do for the conference, but I'm not sure if I'll have time to do it. I'll see how things go to what I'll do, because I may get some more ideas before the conference.

I may not be sure about all the things I'll do for this conference, but I will be giving a full report of the conference including photos of my table set up. I'm so excited!

Anyone else have conferences they've attended recently?

2 comments:

  1. Glad I met you through the 12 group. I hope you have a wonderful time. You know I got a google voice number for my cards, so it's a number. It doesn't have to change. Most people contact via social media and/or email anyway. Good luck at the conference. SCBWI always has so much great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I met you too, Stacy! I'm sure I'll have a great time, though I will be very busy these next few months. I got a cell phone, so it's better than a home phone in any case. I'm sure I wont be called in most cases, but (of course) I don't want to have a wrong number on my cards. Thanks for the well wishing. Good luck on creating 12 picture books by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete