Angie Karchar is one of the wonderful wonderful writers I've met recently. I think it was actually because of Meg Miller that I discovered her. We both won wonderful paintings of ourselves (mine is to the upper right of this blog). I don't want to take up too much of your time with my text. I'll let Angie tell you about herself in her own words. Enjoy!
| Meet Angie Karcher |
I love reading on the beach, swinging in a hammock, sitting by a campfire and traveling.
My first book signing at
Barnes and Noble November 2012
|
My favorite beagle, Gracie and miniature dachshund, Lucy are my writing assistants! I write by the light of the moon and sleep during the daytime, like a vampire. They just sleep all the time as they don’t know whether it’s day or night.
I am the author of 2 non-fiction books for kids. WHERE THE RIVER GRINS is a history, resource book for 3rd graders about the city I live in. It is used in all 3rd grade classrooms in Evansville to teach local history. THE LEGENDARY R.A.COWBOY JONES comes out this spring and is a MG biography about a 70 year old jockey who still races horses.
I have a passion for writing humorous poetry, historical fiction and rhyming picture books. I encourage parents and teachers to read rhyme to children frequently as it encourages language development and fosters a love of reading.
I am the creator of RhyPiBoMo, (Rhyming Picture Book Month) a writing challenge for children’s writers to improve their poetry and rhyming skills, in April.
Dani: What is the first book you remember
your parents (or other family members) reading to you?
Angie: I remember lots of Dr. Seuss books
being read to my brother and me. I’m sure that’s where my love
for rhyming came from! We went to the library every week for story
time and checked out bags of books. As for a specific book, I think
hearing Charlotte’s Web read to me by our school librarian, had the
greatest impact on me. It opened up a world of magical, talking
animals, heart wrenching sadness and love. I wrote my first book for
Young Authors in 3rd grade and it was a mystery about a
missing animal.
Dani: Who is your greatest supporter in
your own picture book journey?
Angie: Definitely my family! As I mentioned, I
work crazy hours as my brain seems to work better at night, so I
write from about 8:00pm to 4:00a.m. I take my youngest son to school
at 7:00 and then sleep until noon…then repeat. This is a challenge
on the weekends as I am always either working or sleeping. I do always make time for them but while we are together, I am usually
yawning. I think this work/sleep pattern started
when my kids were young and I needed 8 hours of uninterrupted work
time. If you can imagine what it’s like having 4 teenagers, try to
imagine 4 kiddos under age 6. I barely remember those blurry days!
Dani: Cake or Pie?
Angie: This is an easy answer…I am a
cheesecake girl! I took my oldest daughter to New York
City last spring and we stayed in this adorable studio apartment in
Manhattan. It happened to be right across the street from a Magnolia
Bakery. I had New York cheesecake every day we were there. It was
life changing!
Dani: Where did you get the idea to do
RhyPiBoMo?
Angie: I submitted a rhyming manuscript to a
well-respected agent last fall and she liked it but said that she
only accepts rhyme from poets. I asked her what criteria she had for
someone to be considered a poet. She said “Someone who reads poetry
daily, writes poetry daily, studies the craft of poetry writing, and
is a member of poetry organizations and critique groups. ” Hmmm…I had been writing children’s
poetry and rhyming picture books for years and am a 12 year member of
SCBWI but I certainly didn't fit into all those categories. I was also frustrated with the typical
response at conferences from the faculty, other writers, and the
world in general that if you write in rhyme, you are not a serious
writer.
I am a serious writer. I thrive at
writing rhyme. It is my passion and I have nearly stopped submitting
rhyme altogether because of the advice given. I do realize that editors receive tons
of really terrible rhyme and that is the reason for their jolting
response. It was time to do something about it!
So, while participating in Tara Lazar’s PiBoIdMo I began to think
about a rhyming challenge for writers to help us improve our writing
and study the craft of writing poetry/rhyme instead of continuing to
feed the editors what they don’t want. April was the perfect month as it is
National Poetry Month and although many authors are busy with spring
school visits, it was before summertime and all that entails.
So, April it was! I researched to see
if there were any other rhyming picture book events and quickly came
to see that there is very little for writers of rhyme and poetry at
all. RhyPiBoMo (Rhyming Picture
Book Month) was the perfect title because it even
rhymed in an AABB pattern! I happened to be taking The Hero’s
Art Journey Class with Mira Reisberg and Maya Gonzalez, so I held a logo contest within that
group of wonderful artists and Gayle Wing O’Donnell won. She
created the gorgeous Willy S. on his parchment background and quoted
him saying “The Rhyme’s the thing wherein I’ll speak the words
and let them sing.” My heart melted. I had a title and I had a logo…I was
off to the races!
I created The RhyPiBoMo Facebook group
and writers joined by the dozens…I had 100 members in nearly a
week. We have suggested lists of rhyming picture books. We have a
list of editors who accept rhyme. Dawn Young is busy setting up
critique groups now. If you are interested in joining a rhyme/poetry
critique group please join the Facebook group ASAP. It is a very
supportive community and I hope it will stay active long after April
is past.
Dani: What does Rhyming Picture Book Month
entail?
First, participants read and agree to
the daily activities listed on the pledge. Once they feel that they
can meet these requirements, they register for the event by
completing the comment form and leaving a comment about the event.
By commenting, this makes them eligible
for the daily prizes that will be awarded on Sunday for the previous
week. This will allow folks to catch up and comment by Saturday night
each week.
For example: If you are out of town
Monday – Friday and can’t participate, come home Saturday, get
busy reading the posts, the daily lessons, the picture books and
writing the poems. When and if you have caught up on each day, then
go and comment for those days. This will make you eligible for a
prize drawing on Sunday. If you don’t comment daily, you are not
eligible.
The goal is to keep people involved and
not get behind so much that they give up and quit. I’ve had
questions about participation. It is completely on an honor system
but basically, if you participate on Tuesday, comment on Tuesday. If
you don’t get caught up, don’t worry about it and move on…catch
up later.
RhyPiBoMo Registration: http://angiekarcher.wordpress.com/rhypibomo-registration/
Dani: Tell us a bit of what you had to do
to get this project going.
Angie: I first had to gather a group of
wonderful bloggers. I started a wish list. Ruth McNally Barshaw, Tara
lazar and Corey Rosen Schwartz helped me make a few connections by
introducing me to some of the bloggers through email. It was honestly
very easy to find people to sign on. It certainly helped once I had
Jane Yolen and Lee Bennett Hopkins to add credibility to my event.
The more bloggers I got…the more bloggers I got!
Once the calendar was full, I started
writing the daily lessons. I am still finishing those up now and I’m
learning so much. I’d say this begins to cover the “Studying my
Craft” portion of my checklist to become a poet. Next, I created a blog. Angie Karcher ~ Writing, Storytelling,
Poetry and Illustration
Apparently the best way to learn how
to blog is to host a huge event for writers! I am a
Learn-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-girl so I learned how to use Wordpress,
how to network on social media and much, much more. A year ago I
think I had about 12 followers on Facebook and I didn’t have a clue
what Twitter was.
Oh, and there were prizes to gather and
a poetry contest to organize with judges. It has been a huge
undertaking but I have enjoyed every minute of meeting amazing
authors and many wonderfully supportive folks who also have a passion
for children’s rhyme and poetry.
Dani: Can you let us know who some of the
planned guests are for this event?
I can actually tell you who all the
guest bloggers are…Here is the calendar!
I think from start to finish, it only
took me 3 weeks to fill all the bloggers spots and I actually had to
turn a few authors away and promise them spots for next year, as they
heard about the event and wanted to participate. These guest bloggers
are amazingly generous people to donate their time and many of them
donated prizes and some even donated critiques. The rhyming community
is a tight knit group of writers that I am happy to say have embraced
me and RhyPiBoMo warmly.
Dani: What do you hope that people get out
of RhyPiBoMo?
Angie: I hope people decide if they are truly
a rhymer or not. If you participate in this event and
look forward to the next day’s lessons, guest blog posts, poem
writing and picture book reading then you are probably, innately, a
rhymer! If not, that doesn’t mean that you
should give up on the dream of being a rhyming picture book author,
just that you will have to work twice as hard if it doesn’t come
naturally to you. Like a musical talent or a gifted artist, writing
poetry and rhyme is also a gift that is a part of your being. There
are many musicians and artists that have studied their craft over a
lifetime to the point that they are considered a professional. They
had to start somewhere.
My goal is for writers who participate
to see how difficult writing quality rhyme truly is and decide if it
is something they still want to pursue. I also want to help them
learn more about this genre of children’s literature that I’m
afraid to say my new friend Lee Bennett Hopkins said is likened to
“The step child of the language arts.”
I have a huge focus on poetry during
the daily lessons. This is because rhyme is just the teeny-weeny tip
of the rhyming picture book ice burg. Most of the good stuff is
concealed under the water as poetic styles, techniques and forms. I
believe that it is essential to have an understanding of what it is
we are doing to do it well…and to be a professional. I’m checking
off a few more boxes on my way to being a professional poet. I’m
so happy to have this wonderful group of writers join me on my
journey!
Check out Angie on the Web:
Twitter account: @Ankar2013
RhyPiBoMo Registration: http://angiekarcher.wordpress.com/rhypibomo-registration/
WHERE THE RIVER GRINS
Link to my publisher http://mtpublishing.com/index.php/default/river-grins.html#.UxgQd4W2Kh4
THE LEGENDARY R.A. COWBOY JONES
Great interview, guys! I'd heard of RhyPiBoMo and it was interesting getting to read all of the behind-scenes info. Best of luck to Angie!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I'm also a Hoosier- maybe I'll see you at the conference in April?
Thanks for a great interview Dani and Angie! I will be looking forward to reading you books as soon as. I get my hands on it. Dani, you have an impressive guest blogger list and lesson plan prepared for RhyPiBoMo!
ReplyDeleteI'd heard of RyPiBoMo, so it's interesting to find out the story behind it. Thanks for the interview!
ReplyDelete