Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chapter Book Challenge

I don't think it was that long ago that I posted about the Chapter Book Challenge or maybe it was just Rebecca Fyfe herself. In any case the Chapter Book Challenge is a challenge that happens in the month of March every year. Rebecca Fyfe runs the challenge on her blog: http://chapterbookchallenge.blogspot.ca/ and the idea is to write a first draft of a Chapter Book in the month of March. Unlike National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) the idea is to write a book for young readers. Any chapter book from early readers to YA counts in this contest.

I know, I know, I'm doing this post late. The contest started 4 days ago. I'm not sure about the eligibility of prizes if you sign up at this point, but I am double checking now and will update this post when I find out. You can still enter and win prizes! Even if you sign up next week you will be able to enter and win! I will have to say that it doesn't matter about the prizes. Yes, I will say it again THE PRIZES DON'T MATTER! Or they shouldn't in the long run. The prizes are in fact great for this contest (thank you to everyone who contributed), but the idea is to get your Chapter Book written. The prizes are a wonderful encouragement, but the goal is to write. Even if you don't enter to win any of the prizes you should do this event if you want to write a chapter book.

After you sign up once that's all you need to do to get all the blog posts in your email every year. The information that you find during this time will be invaluable to your writing career. Maybe you just want to take your time writing your chapter book, but want somewhere to go to get inspiration. You'll find it in droves thanks to Rebecca's blog.

Do you want to know the best thing that's come from the Chapter Book Challenge? The wonderful Facebook community that has grown from this event. There are so many great people in this community. They are all wonderful and nurturing. There are few environments where everyone seems to help out and work together. It is truly a wonderful group and I'm so happy to be a part of this community.

It should also be noted that this group comes out with several anthologies every year. These anthologies are getting more and more popular as more come out. My favorite (the first one where I submitted my writing) is the SuperHERo anthology. It's an anthology of short stories with strong female superhero role models. A portion of the proceeds from this book go to Because I am a Girl charity!

If you are going to write a chapter book the month of March is the best time to get started in my book. There is so much inspiration and support this month. I know it's a crazy amount of work, but it is so worth the effort. Just think: you'll get a manuscript you can submit to publishers (it may need a bit of editing, but still!) and with only a months work for the first draft! I hope you join me for the Chapter Book Challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment