Friday, March 8, 2013

Asking the Wrong Question

So I'm going through training to be a Financial Advisor this weekend. I expected to learn a lot this weekend, but I didn't expect it to apply to Writing and Illustrating. It's funny how things connect when you don't expect them too.

I've discovered that I've often been asking the wrong question in life. When I see someone successful I ask them how they got there, or I try to learn how they got there. This is a very important question, but it's only part of what I should be asking or finding out. A very important question is what inspired them and drove this person to be the person they are today. This way I could figure out my own "why". I can get all the how-tos for how to do art or writing, but if I don't have a strong "why" then I'll never be driven or inspired to get my work published.

I have lots of reasons why I want to become a Picture Book Writer and Illustrator, but I haven't written this down so I can remember when times are tough. I don't think my whole "why" is so I can afford for my son to  have all the things he needs in life. There are lots of ways to get to that solution, so I need to come up with something that gives a reason for me to specifically get published. I think I will work on this over the next few days and post the results here.

What is your "why"?

No comments:

Post a Comment