Sunday, September 25, 2016

"Propel" by Whitney Keyes

This week is about to get extremely busy with posts about Smart Dummies. Before I get off on a tangent about what you should be doing for your dummy, I want to introduce you to a book that I love. This book is "Propel" by Whitney Keyes. Before I start I should say that I am not getting paid for this review, and reserved the right to not review this book if I hated it's contents. I should also tell you that I hate doing book reviews. I only chose this book to review because it sounded good. When I opened the pages I was not disappointed.

This is not so much a book about illustration or writing, but this book can help your writing or illustration career. This book is for anyone who needs to do marketing. It's probably for the best that this marketing book isn't written specifically for writers or illustrators. Because this book works for most (if not all businesses) it allows writers and artists to find ways to sell their work beyond just selling books. You can use this book to help increase your book sales. You can also use it to help you sell artwork to a museum, promote your editing service or even advertise your own book store (or any other business you may own).

Who is Whitney Keyes to tell you how to market? Well she's been in the marketing business for over 20 years. She's "worked as a senior Microsoft manager, strategic advisor for American Express and consultant to thousands of businesses around the world". This was why I was so keen on getting this book! Also, she's a wonderful person to talk to. That last bit means a lot to me.

There are thousands of books out there you can buy about marketing. I usually don't buy these, because they aren't practical for me. The steps they have in the book aren't easy to follow or only work for some businesses. One thing I like about Whitney's book is the steps are easy to follow. Each step is specific enough where you can make a strategic plan, and general enough that you can use what you learn for your business.

Who doesn't like stories? I know I do. Whitney uses stories from her actual clients to show the problems each client had, and what she did to help the client out. The stories range from huge companies, to small businesses. Whitney has a love for artists, so she includes stories she has of  indie documentary filmmakers to photographers, and painters.

Check out Whitney's book the next time you are at the bookstore. You will not be sorry!

----

Follow Whitney:

Website: WhitneyKeyes.com

Twitter: @WhitneyKeyes

Book:

Propel: Five Ways to Amp Up Your Marketing and Accelerate Business (Career Press)

No comments:

Post a Comment