Friday, October 3, 2014

Interview With Denise Jaden

I have had a weird month getting ready for VCON. I have been really busy and tired. Usually I wouldn't mention this in an interview except for the fact it made me miss something. I had the opportunity to meet Denise Jaden and pretty much blew it! She was a speaker for the SCBWI Canada West Conference! I was in a mental haze that day. I knew her books looked familiar. I had actually meant to chat with her, but I couldn't find her when went to look.

Though I didn't get to speak to Denise directly I know for a fact that she is a great speaker. She gave some good advice for marketing, improving craft and basically getting out there into th
e kidlit world. She has a really great nonfiction book "Fast Fiction" that just came out back in March this year (I really need to remember to pick this up). Denise has a novel coming out this month entitled "Foreign Exchange"! I put a bit about this book at the end of this post. Be sure to pre-order "Foreign Exchange" at your local bookstore!

-------
Dani: You write fiction and non-fiction books, so what's in it for you?

Denise: Honestly, I never know ahead of time what kind of book I’m going to write, and after my first nonfiction book, I didn't expect to do it again. But I was hit with inspiration, and went for it! Usually when an idea hits me strongly and doesn't let go, I need to get it out of me and start planning for how and when I should write it.

Dani: How fast do you go?

Denise: Well, I wrote the first draft of my debut novel in 21 days. I often write first drafts very quickly, actually, but that usually just gives me a basic framework of the story (and sometimes even the framework can change quite a bit). It can take months or years of revision before a book is publishable.



Dani: Finish these thoughts:

My biggest fear... that I’ll lose my passion for writing. The longer I go without writing (which is usually because of other life time commitments) the more difficult I find it to go back and the more I struggle with insecurity over what I’m writing.


I need to... write every day if I don't want to get grumpy!

My books are... my deepest expressions about the world.

Dani: What's special about your work?

Denise: I believe in books that envelop you, rather than hit you with a bang. I believe my books are those kind of books that make you feel like you can really be in them with the characters.

Dani: What is your ultimate goal in life?

Denise: To try a lot of new things and have lots of positive experiences. To connect with people. Sorry, that’s three goals!



People can find out more about me and my writing on my website at www.denisejaden.com or on my blog at denisejaden.blogspot.comor on Twitter @denisejaden



COMING SOON: FOREIGN EXCHANGE BY DENISE JADEN


Jamie Monroe has always played it safe. That is, until her live-for-the-moment best friend, Tristan,
jets off to Italy on a student exchange program. Left alone with her part-time mother and her disabled brother, Jamie discovers that she is quite capable of taking her own risks, starting with her best friend’s hotter-than-hot older brother, Sawyer. Sawyer and Tristan have been neighbors for years, but as Jamie grows closer to the family she thought she knew, she discovers some pretty big secrets. As she sinks deeper into their web of pretense, she suspects that her best friend may not be on a safe exchange program at all. Jamie sets off to Europe on a class trip with plans to meet up with Tristan, but when Tristan stops all communication, suddenly no one seems trustworthy, least of all the one person she was starting to trust—Sawyer.

Praise for Foreign Exchange:

“Foreign Exchange is a fresh contemporary YA that will keep readers compulsively turning pages until the very end. Combining international intrigue with a steamy forbidden romance makes for a can't miss read.” - Eileen Cook Author of Year of Mistaken Discoveries.

“Great contemporary/mystery combo!” -Shanyn Day, Book Blogger, Chickloveslit.com

“A pitch perfect voice and delicious chemistry between the characters kept me turning those pages!”-Tara Kelly, author of  Amplified and Encore


“Foreign Exchange is heart pounding and suspenseful...the teenage dream of escaping the boredom of suburbia by travelling Europe and spending quality time with a hot guy shifts into a dangerous nightmare.” -D.R. Graham, author of Rank and the Noir et Bleu MC series.


EVERNIGHT PUBLISHING
Sandra Pesso – Marketing Manager
Evernight Publishing / Evernight Teen
evernightmarketing@gmail.com
www.evernightteen.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment