Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Lovable Blythe Russo Talks about Creating Lovable Characters

Blythe Russo is one of the wonderful Moderators for the #kidlitart chat on Twitter.  She creates absolutely adorable characters. I mean, I want her horses in real life because they look that amazing. I mean I have no room for a horse, but for her horses I'd find space! "One More Wheel" by Colleen AF Venable and illustrated by Blythe Russo comes out to book shelves next year!


The #kidlitart chat runs Thursday nights 6pm PST, 9pm EST on Twitter. It's a wonderful chat where illustrators talk about different topics in the kidlit industry.

-----


So, Dani asked if I would write a blog post about “creating loveable characters” and as I sat down to write, I realized I had no idea what to say that hasn’t been said a bajillion times before.

Design-wise, there are SO MANY posts and classes and tutorials that can teach you how to make cool and cute and interesting characters. Like, a vast amount, you guys.


I mean, creating cute and loveable characters is based on a formula. Preston Blair attributed the drawing of “cute characters” to mimicking the proportions of a baby.


Loveable = Huggable. It’s all about the round shapes and curves.


Easy enough, right? But then I questioned whether a character being loveable is even the most important trait for them to have?


Yes, a character should be loveable. HOWEVER, shouldn’t it be more important for the character to be RELATABLE?


I think relatable characters, whether they are troublemakers like David (David Shannon), or precocious like Olivia (Ian Falconer), or misunderstood like Amelia Bedelia (Peggy and Herman Parish), are loveable BECAUSE OF their flaws. Kids can see themselves in the characters because they aren’t always loveable.

They make mistakes.


And they also learn from those mistakes.

Just like the children they are written for.


So I think the best way to “create loveable characters” is to give them flaws and let them make the wrong choices, but also let them learn to fix them.


Also, make your character SPECIFIC. Give them a personality and wardrobe and facial features and physical gestures that are all their own.


Band-aids on the knees, missing socks, slouchy posture, grass-stained pants, freckles, etc.


We teach children that they’re special and one-of-a-kind, why should we treat our characters differently?


Make them imperfect.


But love them anyway.


Because if YOU love your character, if YOU relate to them, others will too.

-----
Kidlitart Chat on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kidlitart and their website: http://kidlitart.blogspot.com/ Use #kidlitart for chat!


5 comments:

  1. Nice post and thanks for the Cute Character link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Blythe's work! Awesome thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post has great information. Thanks for the cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Interesting point about the flaws. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post about thinking just deeper that "cute character" thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.