Monday, January 2, 2017

There is no Such Thing as a Bad Idea: Day 1

We've all heard the old adage: "There is no such thing as a bad idea." I don't believe this is wholly true. Sticking one's finger in a light socket is generally a bad idea. There are instances where it might be a good idea. If sticking a character's finger into a light socket works to further a plot line, then that bad idea might not be so bad.  

As I look over all my past ideas I find that some of them are bad ideas. A bad idea isn't bad because the idea is bad. I see bad story ideas as ones that I can't put into a story, yet. If someone else looked through my list of ideas they might be better at turning those ideas into good stories.

I'm participating in Storystorm this year. In this I will be creating at least 30 story ideas in the next 30 days (which will remain private). For fun I will be also creating 30 "bad" ideas for my blog. These ideas will be intentionally bad. If one of my bad ideas inspires you to write then go for it.

I'm hoping this month I'll be able to give you a chuckle. Even more so: I hope to show you how easy and accessible Storystorm is for everyone. I will be taking Storystorm seriously and will keeping a private journal of my good ideas as well. Please join me in taking part of this event!

Bad Idea #1:

Pete and Repeat are in boat. They are stuck in a time loop that happens when Pete falls out of the boat. Half way through the story Repeat falls out of the boat and the story ends.


Think you can come up with a better idea? You can sign up for Storystorm before January 7th here: https://taralazar.com/2016/12/27/storystorm-2017-registration-is-open/

Also don't forget that Mira Reisberg from the Children's Book Academy is having a special until tomorrow for her Craft and Business of Writing Picture Books.You can get $70 off if you sign up before January 3rd! It's a wonderful program, so you should check it out!   http://www.childrensbookacademy.com/writing-childrens-picture-books.html

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with good and bad ideas! It's a fun month to kick off the idea challenge!

    ReplyDelete