Sunday, December 7, 2014

PiBoIdMo Winnah!

I am a PiBoIdMo
I last year I entered Tara Lazar's (http://taralazar.com/) PiBoIdMo challenge because I was out of ideas. At least for picture books. This year I entered the 12x12 (12 picture books in 12 months http://www.juliehedlund.com/12-x-12/). and I would have had no ideas for picture books if it hadn't been for Tara Lazar's PiBoIdMo. I focused on illustration this past year's 12x12, but I was able to generate several new ideas for manuscripts (even if not all of them got written). I just barely scraped by last year with 30 ideas.

This year I wanted more.  If an idea doesn't grab me when I go to write, then it's not helpful (at least not at the time). My plan was to have more than 30 ideas. After 10 days of the event I was done with 30. I could have stopped there and been fine, but I wanted more. So my new goal was 60, and I wasn't sure that I could get that.

I'm a pretty competitive person. If I know I can win something, then I will make it my goal to win that thing. I was reading through the numbers people were posting and I had to have MORE than what everyone else was posting. I think the highest number I saw was 52, so I went from 40-60 ideas in one day.

60 wasn't enough, so in the final week I came up with a few. I joked that I would come up with 30-40 ideas in one day. I was crazy busy all month, but Sunday was slow. I got an idea for generating ideas, and ended up with 102 ideas to finish up the month. 

Now not everyone is going to get 100 ideas, but it's the trying that counts. Next year will be different, but I'm happy what I achieved this year. I have a lot of ideas now, but not all of them are going to move me when I go to write. If I don't like any of my ideas? I'll go back to previous PiBoIdMo years and generate ideas from old posts. Thank you so much Tara Lazar for PiBoIdMo. I promise to make you proud of the amount of ideas I use in manuscripts this year!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Dani! You ran beyond the finish line to Canada and back! Congratulations on generating 102 ideas!

    ReplyDelete