Tuesday, December 31, 2013

An Interview With Anna Staniszewski on "The Dirt Diary"

It's a day later then when I wanted to post it, but here is my interview with Anna Staniszewski about her new book "The Dirt Diaries". You can read the first chapter of this exciting book on her website here: www.annastan.com. There are also a lot of other fun things on her website like her blog, a list of events where she'll be and many other resources just waiting for you to explore. 


Born in Poland and raised in the United States, Anna Staniszewski grew up loving stories in both Polish and English. She was named the 2006-2007 Writer-in-Residence at the Boston Public Library and a winner of the 2009 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom Discovery Award. When she’s not writing, Anna spends her time teaching, reading, and challenging unicorns to games of hopscotch. She is the author of My Very UnFairy Tale Life series, published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky. Look for the first book in Anna’s next tween series, The Dirt Diary, in January 2014, and visit her at www.annastan.com.





You can see a trailer for "The Dirt Diary" here:  http://youtu.be/XFbn0j3Fc80


Anna Staniszewski on "The Dirt Diary"
Coming January 7, 2014!


What's it like shifting from a magical world to a character in "the real world"?
Since I've traditionally been a SFF writer, I was a little hesitant about writing something realistic, but Rachel's strong voice and quirky character made it a lot of fun from the beginning. Pretty soon I got so caught up in Rachel's misadventures that I didn't even miss the magic. Someone pointed out to me, though, that The Dirt Diary has a "Cinderella" feel to it, and I had to agree. I guess I can't get away from fairy tales no matter how hard I try!

Saw your book trailer! Really cute and funny. How is it different researching for something in a fantasy book then a fiction story?
Researching realistic fiction is a slightly different process. With my UnFairy Tale series, I read a lot of fairy tales for inspiration, but with The Dirt Diary, I watched baking videos (because Rachel loves to bake) and asked friends who'd cleaned houses to share their experiences. My research focused much more on nit-gritty details than inspirational ones.

Sometimes writers put a bit of themselves into their main characters. Is the character Rachel like you at all?
Rachel and I definitely have a lot in common personality-wise. Her extreme shyness, neurotic insecurities, and funny sayings were inspired by my own quirks from when I was in middle school. Thankfully, I’ve gotten a little more outgoing and a little less insecure since then!

What was the best part of writing "The Dirt Diary"?
Rachel says a lot of wacky things throughout the book, things like "Oh my goldfish!" and "Holy twice-baked potato!" She also uses goofy fake swear words like "gas cap!" I think the fake swears were the most fun to come up with. :-)

What are you working on next?
I just finished up the last round of revisions on the sequel, The Prank List, which comes out in July, and I'm about to start writing the third book in the series, The Gossip File, which will be out in January 2015.


I hope that you will all visit Anna's website and buy her new book when it comes out in a few days! If you need something to read until then then you should pick up Anna's "My Very Unfairytale Life" Series!  You have a whole week to read all four books, no problem, right? Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment