Monday, September 7, 2015

Stephen Maquignon Shares His Secrets and PRIZES

I've known Stephen for a few years now. I can't remember where we met online, but we do most of our chatt..er important industry talk over Twitter. Stephen is wonderfully supportive and a fantastic guy. He is the illustrator of 11 picture books and one chapter book. You may remember his work from the last Tome dePaola award's Semi Finalists. Stephen has yet to miss a single deadline. You can visit Stephen's website here http://macquignon.wix.com/stephenmacquignon.

--------

Dani: What gets in the way of you creating (and how do you overcome it)?
Postcard Prize #1 

Stephen: Having a full time job! Nothing less fun than coming up with an idea or wanting to finish an illustration and realizing you need to get ready to go to work. But I have learned to manage my time by getting up early and spending time creating.

Dani: How long did it take you to find your style?

Stephen: It is an ongoing process. You never stop growing. Sometimes the changes are subtle and other times more noticeable.

Dani: If you could work on a project with any writer (alive or dead) who would it be?

Stephen: Maurice Sendak or Tomie dePaola.

Dani: Besides the Caldecott which honor or award would you like to receive?
Postcard Prize #2

Stephen: Awards are great. I would be lying if I said I didn’t care if I won an award or not, but to be truthful, I would be even happier receiving my next contract. 

Dani: Do you have any dummy advice?

Stephen: All I can say is be patient, don’t try to rush it, make sure the text is being supported by your illustrations not suffocated.

------
Follow Stephen: 
Visit Stephen's Website herehttp://macquignon.wix.com/stephenmacquignon-

Folow Stephen on Twitter: https://twitter.com/macquignon

@%@%@%@%@%

PRIZES!

Three people will receive a 2 post card prize pack with Stephen Macquignon's work. One of these prize packs will go to someone who has signed up to this event. The other two will go to people who complete their Dummy this month! 




9 comments:

  1. Dani,
    We met on the "Blue Board" you did a critique of my blog :)
    Thank you Cellini and Doreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been so long that I put you in the "I've known this person forever. We probably met at birth or somesuch" category! I do remember doing the blog critique. I'm so glad it gave me the chance to meet you!

      Delete
    2. It had been so long that I put you in the "I've known this person forever. We probably met at birth or somesuch" category! I do remember doing the blog critique. I'm so glad it gave me the chance to meet you!

      Delete
  2. I love the sheep illustration. This is such a fresh take on the traditional story.
    And the crocodile painting flamingo, ahahah!
    That's inspiring and makes me want to read more.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style! I wish I could work full time on writing and illustrating books too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love your style and humor! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete