Friday, October 9, 2015

Quilling in Style with Stacy S. Jensen -- Plus a WINNER!

I asked Stacy Jensen on my blog today because I happened to catch this wonderful post of hers just before Smart Dummies began:  In this post she created beautiful work just using paper. Stacy doesn't see herself as a visual artist, but maybe she should reconsider this view. I could see illustrations like these in books!

Stacy is a wonderful Writer and a lot of fun. I think if she wanted to she could also be an Illustrator with this fun quilling style. I thought that her style could help you see another way of crafting your art. Whether you use this style for inspiration, illustration or just to relax I'm sure you'll be tempted to try this style. It looks like a lot of fun!

-------


I write short picture book manuscripts.

My efforts to curl paper caught Dani Duck's eye, if you are wondering why a writer is among the guest bloggers.

I began quilling a couple years. I discovered quilling, as a portable craft I could take to a neighborhood meeting. I discovered this craft on Pinterest — not at the age of 12 like most people I know.
Thanks to the Internet, books and online groups, I've taught myself a variety of techniques and have an assortment of tools to crimp, coil, and pinch my paper strips into shape. I also have a large glue collection.

While quilling takes some time away from my writing, I find it feeds into my writing too.
I often put down my quilling to make a note for a new story idea or a story-in-progress.
I've used quilling over the last year to "illustrate" an image for a challenge:
I stretched myself really large in June when I participated in Susanna Leonard Hill's illustrator contest. I created a scene for the "Discovery" theme. (http://www.stacysjensen.com/discovery-stretching-for-a-contest/) It's a bit cliché with the large eye looking down into the grass. But it pushed me. I had a deadline and pushed myself to use new techniques.

When another friend asked me to participate in a #SpreadPoetryonFacebook challenge, I picked up my paper strips and glue. I created four projects for Emily Dickinson poems.

EXAMPLE

3- And another challenge to write a poem about Punxsutawney Phyllis by Susanna Leonard Hill, resulted in two quilled images and a video. (http://www.stacysjensen.com/punxsutawney-phyllis-teamspring/)

Dummies aren't really required for my one-panel projects, but I do create sketches for my work.
Dummies are part of my picture book revision process. They are more word based. I create doodles too. Since I write short, a dummy will often help me find mistakes in my writer logic.
I've researched a lot of quilling artists. While I haven't found one yet in a picture book, I have found several really cool paper artists.

Here are a few paper artist links for inspiration:
  • Yulia Brodskaya http://www.artyulia.com/index.php/Illustration/PAPERgraphic
  • Denise Fleming (http://www.denisefleming.com/pages/papermaking.html)
  • Brittani Rose Gothard. (http://www.brittanirosepaper.com/book-illustrations.html)
  • Marina Adamova (http://www.allthingspaper.net/2015/04/paper-illustration-marina-adamova.html)

Thanks for letting me to join you for the Smart Dummies Challenge.


Bio: Stacy S. Jensen writes picture books, eats chocolate, designs websites and quills paper. She lives in Colorado with her family.

------
Today I'm going to announce the Portfolio Review kindly donated by Mary Reaves Uhles! If you haven't read her post yet, you need to. Mary has excellent Time Management Tips you need to know!

WINNER

The winner of Mary's Portfolio Review is:





Meridth Gimbel

Congratulations Meredith! I'll contact you shortly about your prize (if you don't contact me first).  


5 comments:

  1. Great post! Thanks. And for the record the smart dummies group was super helpful. And a big wahoo to winning a review from Mary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I agree with Dani. Stacy, these could certainly be pb illustrations! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I love your quilling! and yes, I'm with Dani and Jane. When you said "I haven't found one yet in a picture book" I thought, "Let that be a challenge for you, my friend!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy's quill art is amazing! I get lost in them, they are such feasts for the eyes. :) It was fun to learn about how she incorporates this art with her writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for having me Dani and thank you all for the kind comments (and encouragement).

    ReplyDelete