Friday, August 30, 2013

The Business of Creating a Business

I've been working for a while now to set up a shop on Etsy. Anyone who is doing this should know that it's tougher than it actually seems! It's not like I didn't know at all what I was getting into.

A little background on me: I spent a lot of my youth and young adult time learning and helping out with my parent's businesses. My parents did flea markets, garage sales, and owned their own second hand shop for a time. I learned a lot from them during this time. Even after I stopped helping them out I've done a lot to learn about the business of owning a business. I've had a few small business ventures of my own, taken classes in marketing, and have read more books than you can shake at.

I'm use to the business practices of Ohio (in the US) and not of British Columbia Canada. There isn't a huge learning curve, but there is a lot for me to learn! There is a lot to know about getting your business name/license (which doesn't seem to apply to me right now). There is still so much for me left to do! My biggest problem right now is figuring out shipping costs from Canada to wherever I need to send. It can be really expensive to mail things here (especially compared to the US).

I'm hoping to get my shop open within the next few days, but I hope everyone isn't too disappointed if it's not set up right away! I am available for custom work in any case and likely I will not be using Etsy for this. If you would like a custom Illustration, Portrait or other request done please don't hesitate to contact me! Quotes are absolutely free so drop me a line. If there is something you want that I don't have listed yet (prints, originals, or colouring books) please contact me on the 31st and I should be able to sell to you directly. Even if my Etsy shop is not open in a few days I will have the ability to charge via Paypal, which isn't the same but it's a big step in the right direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment