Thursday, November 15, 2012

Shannon Hitchcock

Often I'll just write about a person's blog on my site, but Shannon Hitchcock's case I had to make an exception. There was too much information on her actual website that needs to be pointed out. The website and blog both focus on Shannon's book "The Ballad of Jessie Pearl," isn't just set in the past, it's based on her own history. To see them go to www.shannonhitchcock.com  and Http://shannonhitchcockwriter.blogspot.ca 

Shannon's webpage has all the things you expect from an author's webpage. There's a bio page, links to her blog and information about her book. What I like about her webpage and blog is that she has information and resources in these that many authors don't have.

Shannon's book trailer is a nice introduction to the book. The music in the trailer is nice for setting the mood. The illustration on the actual book cover is lovely and gives it a nice feel. The trailer is only a small part of what's neat about Shannon's website. I think my favourite thing is the teacher's resources. One can tell that Debbie Gonzales put a lot of time and effort into putting this guide together. There are a lot of resources, discussion questions and information packed into this study guide.

On Shannon's blog she has a lot of information about the process of book creation. Even though I've heard several accounts on how a book is made I found that Shannon's is more detailed than I usually see, but also the information she gives is interesting and well written. She also gives her own insight to what she's learned in the process of making the book. I loved reading about the inspiration of her book (her kid's school project of all things!) and the post "People Who Have Helped Me" was very heart warming. I think if I had to pick on thing that I like most about Shannon's blog is her reviews on books. These reviews always leave me with lots to think about long after I stop reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment