Tuesday, October 2, 2012

WOTS

I had a lot of fun at the Word on the Street Sunday. So much so that I didn't post anything because I was so exhausted when I got home. In truth, I only spent a few hours at the festival itself. It's been difficult getting my son past his ear infection (he doesn't sleep much at night) so even though I got there at 12:30 pm it was 2:00 pm before I was able to even look at any of the tables. Even then I didn't plan to watch any of the readings (and was deathly afraid he'd wake up), so I spent most of my time going table to table. I only took a few pictures because my phone wasn't fully charged when I left.

It started as a typical day for my son David and I. While I'm getting ready my son gives himself a bath in the sink. I wish he'd take his clothes off first, but I guess I can't expect everything from a 20 month old.


One of my least favourite parts of the WOTS is watching the massacre of innocent comic books. Yes, it's okay to cut up National Geographic, but what did Captain America ever do to anyone? The pain an agony it causes (even though I don't care much for Captain America).







My son wanted to play with these magnets first thing. Unfortunately we had just eaten lunch so we had to go inside first to clean up. This lead to him throwing a fit in the library, drinking some milk and then taking a nap (the reason I didn't start on anything until 2 pm). I think we spent 20 minutes here playing with the letters. The actual table was for Westcoast Families. Though it's difficult to see in this picture there were magnetic words so kids could make poetry. David didn't make poetry, but he almost spelled cat.

We picked up a couple of books while we were there. Jeyn Roberts' Rage Within and Jeremy Tankard's Grumpy Bird. Both  were signed by the authors of the books. Jeremy seems to be the Illustrator as well as the Author (gotta love that) of his book. He signed with a drawing of the blue bird. The illustrations are wonderful and I'm sorry I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I spoke to Jeyn a bit before I left the table. She is quite a nice lady. Rage Within is actually the second book in the series (darn, now I have to go get the first book). It is based in a post apocalyptic world where nature is sick and tired of what man is doing to the earth. This book is suggested reading for those who liked The Hunger Games.  I don't know much about it beyond that, so I look forward to reading this new series!

Also, to cram a little more into this long post I'm going to add in a poem. This poem was inspired (and partially written) by my 20 month old son, David.

Shoes Socks

Shoes socks!
Shoes socks!
Thank you!
Shoes socks!

My son he likes to play all day.
And this is all he ever says:

Shoes socks!
Shoes socks!
Thank you!
Shoes socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment